Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bezerk?


Overcoming many years of post grunge heavy metal inhibitions takes time.
I first resurrected Bezerk by Tigertailz from ye dusty olde tape box a couple of months ago. When I first tried listening to the album it had a similar effect to eating too much ice-cream followed by a cup of tea, sick and sticky. Sunday I again attempted to listen to this tape all the way through and despite comments from my daughter (“what’s this you’re listening to?” in an oh my god you’ve cracked tone of voice) and my wife (“what’s this shit?”always to the point) I actually managed it.
It took some time to find what I had originally found appealing about this album, in fact I may not have found it but at least I got something else from it this time round other than nausea. Another thing I have discovered, when you dig out these old tapes it is important to listen to side A first, I don’t know why but it changes the whole perspective of the album, so rewind it if you have to, and don’t be shy, turn up the volume, it makes a difference (also makes it harder to hide your shame). So I enjoyed listening this time, in fact I have put in rotation with the other stuff by the stereo, the album has one big down point and that is the awful Heaven, the last song on side A, but if you can get over that and overall cheesiness of it all then its an enjoyable listen.
Tigertailz - Bezerk

3 comments:

Bill said...

I bought their first album Young & Crazy when it came out. Similar thoughts as I recall.... just okay, worth a listen but not great.

Amazingly the band, or at least some of the band, are still playing. They played a gig in Cardiff recently.

Anonymous said...

I did make a trip to see them play at the Marquee years ago but got caught up in the anti Le Pen riot police cordon. Nothing exciting just a lot of waiting around but we did miss the gig. Didn't even know the riot had kicked off til I got home and saw it on the news.

Metal Mark said...

I think this album is way better than Young and crazy. It's heavier and really moves for the most.