Saturday, September 30, 2006

Seaside Rock

Something strange happened the other day courtesy of this fellow and some tracks I downloaded from his site, but before I explain what you need some background.

I have a dream, if I win the lottery I am going to open a record(CD) shop and call it Seaside Rock, it will, of course, be by the seaside and it will specialize in rock music(naturally). The inside will be dark and the music will be organized in the most confusing manner possible, it will be organized by me. I will be rude and arrogant and keep a bloody big stick behind the counter, oh and I will always wear shades.
I have my own music categories that need sharing with the world but for that you will have to wait until I win the lottery or find some mental financial benefactor to support my crazy ideas.

The name comes not from the fact it is by the seaside even though that is important, but from a genre of music which I classify as seaside rock. When I say genre it is only such in my own imagination, it has nothing to do with style, sound or dress, it is more a state of mind, my mind.
The bands which I classify as seaside rock are: the Quireboys, the Almighty, Thunder, Little Angels, and Wolfsbane and (at a push) Gun; there may be others I have forgotten. These bands have little in common apart from the time frame I came across them, and even that is a tad tenuous. I thought it may be the association between them and Southend but if that was so then it should include other bands too, and some of these guys I’ve never seen let alone at Southend.

Like I said it’s a state of mind

Dogs D'amour were a band had heard of in the past, I had even considered buying records at one point but without knowing what they sounded like(we had no XFM or internet to find out, it was all word of mouth or taping) and money being short I had to pass on it. I think I missed out; they are a cracking seaside band and the first new seaside rock discovery since 1992. They have also crystallized in my mind what seaside rock is, it’s the Britishness (I nearly said Englishness then and some are Scottish), but not just the Britishness it’s the local Britishness they have.
I think given this new revelation I will have to listen carefully and find out if any other bands fit into this group, not pompous less rock just minipomp rock.

I may have to reorganize my fantasy record shop

No comments: