Friday, September 22, 2006

Blast from the past 1


Today I attempted to listen to three albums from ye dusty auld tape box, they were Whitesnake’s 1989 A Slip Of The Tongue, Bonfire’s 1991 Point Blank and Jon Bon Jovi’s 1990 Blaze Of Glory (a.k.a. BOG).
Being a lazy sod I started with Whitesnake and listened to side B first because I couldn’t be bothered to rewind it, I may have gone in to deep because I could only handle four tracks before I gave up, it was just so , well boring I suppose. It was one of those albums that I can never really remember listening to and now I know why, it wasn’t bad just boring, maybe it will improve with age.



Not a good start, I felt a bit guilty about not sticking the whole album out so this time I promised I would see it through, besides I can remember a time when I did listen to Point Blank, though I had no recollection of what it was like. Its difficult to put into words how the album made me feel, it definitely triggered some emotion though I don’t think its what the artists intended, it made me feel angry. Bonfire owes me 45 minutes of my life back, the bastards. It was fucking awful, not in a funny listening to a mates demo way, or awful in a camp over the top Tygertailz way, no it was lame awful. Claus Lessmann, you and me have got issues.

Blaze Of Glory was always a bit of a laughing stock, cowboy rock? Cowboy concept album? Whatever. Compared to Point Blank it was brilliant, maybe the album just needed seeing in the right context, it was a light relief, easy going and enjoyable as long as you don’t take it to seriously.

Next time I’ll take a bit more time picking who I will listen to.

No comments: