Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Quireboys


So my quest has begun to find out what happened to the bands I liked in my early days as a rock fan.

Let’s start with the Quireboys. Last week I dug out a tape of A Little Bit Of What You Fancy and thought to myself this should be a laugh, boy was I wrong, not only did I enjoy the album more than I probably did first time round my wife even liked it. It was one of those bands that released its follow up in my hazy period of 1992-1994, alcohol, grunge and alternative rock would have pushed the release of Bitter, Sweet & Twisted into the unknown for me, and anything that followed would just be ignored (I couldn't afford anything till 1999 anyway). To be honest I thought this band had disappeared in the very early 90’s . I remember my mum saying they sounded like rod Stewart when I first played it and I found that quite offensive at the time, guess she was right though. There was almost a fight over this album when some friends and I tried to gain control of the record player at my mate Ricks 16th birthday party, I managed to play about three songs before it was removed and they would not let me put anything else on "too heavy", Rick ended up being a Slayer fan within the year.

The band appears to be in its second incarnation, and have toured this year. These are just the sort of guys I would expect to end up playing in Southend which was our Heavy Metal Mecca back in ’89-’93, I will have to watch out for them (if I’m allowed out that is).

No comments: