Monday, September 29, 2008

The Shadows Greatest Hits (2004 remasters)


I think I have mentioned before that I grew up in a musically starved household. My favourite albums amongst the meagre collection where Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture and the Shadows greatest hits. The Shadows greatest hits was originally released in 1963 and re-issued in stereo in 1974, I think dad’s copy may have been the re-issue because he told me that when I was a baby he had walked into a chip shop with the record under his arm and it warped in the heat. I would spend my time listening to this album mesmerized by the motion of the stylus undulating up and down on the wobbliest record in history.

A few days ago, while trawling youtube in a silly competition to find the best or unusual rock/metal covers of unlikely songs I stumbled across the shadows again. I say that like I had forgotten them but that’s not quite true, I had several mp3 tracks on my computer, but after several hours of listening to dodgy live recordings and the odd TV appearance I decided that my CD collection was incomplete.
A quick search of Amazon and the HMV website showed that there where dozens of releases. Too many compilations to choose from all with slightly varying track listings, I was then struck by a sudden recognition, there it was, the same cover that dad had, I had to have it, and now I have.

So here I sit, drinking red wine and eating dark chocolate, not very rock and roll I know but hey, we’re all getting older. I just keep thinking back in ‘92/’93 I would have put this album to a completely different activity. The CD doesn’t warble or produce its own visuals but satisfying none the less.

No comments: