Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I’m a bit behind with this one and I had intended to say something earlier but when the time came I just could not be bothered, but now after some thought on the subject I think the time for righteous indignation is now.
Mr Michael Eavis, 72-year-old dairy farmer and grandpapy of Glastonbury has said he thinks the festival has become too middle aged and too middle class.
Let us start with the second bit first, middle class has always been Glastonbury and Glastonbury has always been middle class. Who else could take the time off work and travel halfway across the country to sit in a field stoned for three days in 1970 (apart from my mother in-law(how weird’s that )), and who else can afford the exorbitant ticket price that is now demanded by the vendors of free love and enlightenment.
Now lets move on to middle aged, does this mean there is an upper age limit to liking live music, if and when you reach a certain age do you have to start listening to Danny O’Donnell or cliff Richard? Does the guy not realize that Keith Richards is now well past one hundred and ten years old, that even the Sex Pistols will soon be reaching pensionable age (sorry Johnny, a little inaccurate but I am trying to make a point). What is the certain age? Where can I go when I reach it? How much will it cost? A lady I worked with had come back from a holiday, I asked her if she had enjoyed it she replied “it was fantastic but one thing worries me, mike(her husband) and I are nearing retirement and the only thing on offer for us is tea dances, we grew up on the Stones and Beatles we don’t want to go to fucking tea dances”.
Fair enough

2 comments:

Bill said...

So do you mean that I'm wide of the mark looking forward to the "Saga FM Classic Rock Show" when I hit 65 in 2036?

At least the Quo will still be touring....

Anonymous said...

Saga festival,hmmm. That sounds marketable, or it will be soon.